According to a study from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), approximately 4.5 million dog bites occur in the United States each year, and 800,000 of those bites result in medical care. In South Carolina, unless the dog was provoked or harassed, owners are held strictly liability for bites and attacks committed by their dog.
At Beach Injury Lawyers we understand that dog attacks cause more than physical pain – they are terrifying experiences that can leave emotional scars in addition to the physical ones. Our injury lawyers have extensive experience handling dog bite claims. If an animal attacks you or a loved one and causes injury, contact us today. We can quickly assess your case and help you file a personal injury claim against the responsible party.
All You Need to Know About Dog Bite and Animal Attack Compensation
Dog bites or animal attacks can be a traumatic experience for the victim. However, the law gives them the means to get compensation for medical bills, further treatment, lost income, pain, and in numerous cases, compensation for trauma. To increase their chances, the victims need to hire a professional and experienced dog bite lawyer to get compensation.
Liability Of A Dog Or Animal Owner In Case Of Attacks
Pet dog owners must understand that they are responsible for dog bites when the dog is in a public space. Not only is the owner responsible or liable for the dog bite but also the damages caused to the victim because of the same. In most cases, even if a dog bites someone in a private space, the owner is liable for the same. The exception is when the victim is not present fully on that premises.
The law clearly states that even if the dog owner is unaware of the previous aggressiveness or the viciousness of the dog, the owner is still responsible for the bite or any damages caused to the victim. It means that the victim is undoubtedly at an advantage regarding dog bites and animal attacks.
What Should A Victim Of A Dog Bite Or Animal Attack Do?
Usually, animal attacks and dog bites are not accurately reported. According to statistics, there are around 800,000 such cases in the US annually. However, these are the cases that need treatment. Thousands of others do not require treatment or opt for self-treatment. These aren’t reported.
The most vulnerable are children, the elderly, or individuals who provide home care services. Non-fatal dog attacks are pretty common in children from 5 to 9 years. Also, individuals and children who live in homes having dogs as pets are more likely to be bitten by dogs. Often, if someone enters a house with an unfamiliar dog, it is better to stand still and let the dog approach. Experts further state that it is a good idea not to make any eye contact with the dog if you want to avoid the dog approaching you. At no cost should you make loud noises or panic.
According to many media reports, it is stated that certain breeds of dogs are much more aggressive compared to others. However, this claim isn’t backed by scientific proof. Whether you have a small, medium, or large dog, any dog can inflict a wound on young children and adults. A dog can get aggressive and bite someone if the breed has guarding or retrieving instincts. In case someone you know has suffered from a fatal dog bite, one can easily file a wrongful death lawsuit against the dog owner.
The Infection Rate Among Victims Of Dog Bites
As per statistics by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of dog bites in the US each year is 4.5 million. Out of those, 20% of the dog bites become infected. This means that the number of infected dog bites is over 1 million annually. Various viruses can result in infection from a dog bite. The virus types include:
- Usually, a dog bite is associated with the rabies virus. However, the rabies virus is extremely rare. It’s dangerous because if it is untreated or treated very late, it can prove to be fatal.
- Capnocytophaga is another bacteria present in dogs and cats. It usually spreads through a dog bite, but most people with a strong immunization system are not impacted by it. However, it can impact people with a weak immunization system.
- Pasteurella bacteria infects over 50% of dog bite wounds. The symptoms of this bacterium include painful red swelling. Other symptoms include swollen glands and swollen joints. Because of the same, it is difficult to move when you’re suffering from an infection resulting from this bacteria. People with weak immunization systems are at the most risk of suffering from this infection.
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is a type of infection that antibiotics cannot easily treat because it is resistant to most of them. The effects include infection of the urinary tract, lungs, and skin. If it is allowed to spread, it can prove fatal when it reaches the bloodstream or lungs.
- Tetanus is a toxin produced by the bacteria that can infect a dog wound. Usually, this type of toxin affects the most when wounds are pretty deep. It can result in rigid paralysis as well as other such problems.
Statistics Of Dog Bites
The number of people who suffer from a dog bite every year is in the thousands. According to the stats, victims over the age of 15 often suffer a dog bite in 50% of the cases when they attempt to break up a dog fight. Regarding child victims under 6, 39% suffer from a dog bite when an adult is not around.
Whether a victim suffers from a dog bite while attempting to break up a fight, at the home where a dog resides, or while walking on the street, they can easily be compensated for damages by filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Get In Touch With Our Expert Dog Bite Lawyers Today!
Most victims aren’t aware of what they should do after suffering from a dog bite. The very first thing is to get medical treatment. After that, you have to contact a lawyer who has experience as a dog bite and animal attack lawyer. You shouldn’t delay contacting a specialized lawyer after medical treatment. Only when you’re quick to do so can you recover complete compensation.
Rather than spending days shortlisting the right lawyer, simply contact our firm, as we have various experienced and effective lawyers who can help you reclaim compensation for damages caused by an animal attack or dog bite. Our experienced lawyers can initiate the claim process by filing a personal injury lawsuit in no time after you contact us. Not only that, we can apprise you of the entire process so that you know what is about to come.
Contact our dog bite lawyers to get help regarding a dog bite or an animal attack you have suffered from.